Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Talisman

Oil painting class with Danny Adams, mid-July, four days of bliss: it IS possible without going to Paris!

I don't think this painting is finished, but the longer I don't work on it, the less I can remember about how to get back to where I was in my head while working on it. In my head or out of it: wherever that was.

At the end, Danny said, "there's a painting on a cigar box lid..." and until that moment I had not even thought of Serusier's "Talisman." I had seen it a month earlier in a small dimly-lit gallery in the Musee d'Orsay; Serusier (one of the "Nabis") is said to have painted it under the guidance of Gauguin. I can just imagine. I am not a fan of Gauguin, though I may have to give him another look, prompted by Martin Gayford's "The Yellow House: Van Gogh, Gauguin, and Nine Turbulent Weeks in Provence."

No comments: